Sunday 15 June 2014

June flowers

Here we are in winter. We've had yet more rain in Christchurch this month, although it wasn't as bad as other recent storms because we didn't bear the brunt of it this time, and the council installed new pumps which meant rivers and creeks didn't rise as high as last time. It's still pretty soggy at my house though, as short days mean that even when it's sunny nothing really dries out. I wondered if I'd have enough flowers to photograph this month because a lot of delicate petals have rotted from all the rain. Luckily I found just enough - I would have liked to be a bit more selective but at this time of year, I'm grateful for any flower I can find, no matter what condition it's in!

Today was surprisingly warm for a time, so I got out and did a little bit in the garden - I moved a shrub and a tree, and managed to weed a little bit of the potager. The ground was so soggy I shouldn't really have been on it, but I cleared enough of a space to plant my garlic soon. And I have a few trees and shrubs I need to shift, so I'll be working my way through those during the winter months while they are dormant.

Here we have some damp and dewy offerings from the June garden (clockwise from top left): camellia fairy blush, iberis, pink geranium (sheltering in the glasshouse), wintersweet (nearly over for another season), primrose, Peace rose, paper daisy buds, pansy, erica, penstemon with dewdrop, hebe (I am scratching the bottom of the barrel when I have to photograph hebes!), primrose. Middle: a scented bunch of wintersweet and camellia.

I am linking up to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Have a look to see flowers in bloom from all around the world!

10 comments:

  1. Happy GBBD.. If those are your flowers in Winter than I am extremely jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've made a point during past years to put in plenty of winter flowering plants. Its the only way to get through this time of year :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your story and blooms and all presented so nicely in a collage. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a surprising number of flowers for your winter, I wish we had as many in our winters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few flowering plants, but often the weather (rain or frost) spoils the blooms. It's a good reason to pick them and bring them inside :)

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful, and I love the vase in the center. It's so unique!

    Happy Gardening :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, I particularly like the primroses.
    Wet here in Kaipara also but we've had some fabulous sunny days in between the heavy downfalls.
    Hope you get a fine day to plant your garlic bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see your winter flowers, I have also many winter flowering plants in my garden and I think it is important to have those so the garden can be enjoyed all year round. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your camelia blooms in winter, wow, Ruth! We got some rains too but then the temps dropped and we're as you in 'winter', it's cold week. Love your collage, nice bright wintry flowers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...